Franklin Park Volunteer Fire Company

Upcoming Events

There are currently no events
View All Events


Web Counters
Website Visitors
Since
August 10, 2017
88,924
Visitors Today
Jul 22, 2019
30
January Fire Safety -- Carbon Monoxide
Email Print RSS Facebook Twitter

By Member Andrew Nock
January 8, 2019

The following is a summarized excerpt from the Pennsylvania Office of the State Fire Commissioners website on Carbon Monoxide. A link to the full article is provided below.

Carbon Monoxide is a byproduct of combustion from any fuel fired appliance, it is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas that can harm or kill before you are aware of its presence. Low level exposures are harmful, high levels can be lethal.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide exposure include headache, nausea, fatigue, dizziness, confusion and irritability. Late stages of CO poisoning may cause vomiting, loss of consciousness and eventually brain damage and death.

Carbon Monoxide exposure is cumulative, meaning it takes longer for your body to expel carbon monoxide than it takes to absorb it. As a result, an ongoing exposure to even low level carbon monoxide for days or weeks can be fatal. For this reason, Carbon Monoxide alarms will sound at very low detection levels.

To alert you of the presence of Carbon Monoxide you should install Underwriters Laboratory (UL) approved carbon monoxide detectors. The Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends a detector on each floor of a residence. At least one detector should be placed on each sleeping floor. Additional detectors should be placed in the area of major fuel burning appliances such as a furnace, water heater, or wood stove. Generally, CO detectors should be installed high, near the ceiling, for effective use. They should not be placed within five feet of gas fueled appliances, wood stoves, cooking or bathing areas. Proper placement will ensure detector alarms will be heard in all sleeping areas.

If Your CO detector alarms, it is important to remain calm. Most CO detectors activations are not life threatening, but it is important you have the situation checked out. Your carbon monoxide detectors manufacturer provided instructions as to how to react to the detector alarming. Regardless of the manufacturers instructions it is important to ask if anyone feels ill, is anyone experiencing flu-like symptoms of headache, nausea, dizziness, fatigue, or drowsiness. If anyone answers yes to any symptom, IMMEDIATELY EVACUATE THE PREMISES TO A SAFE PLACE AND CALL 9-1-1. The best treatment for Carbon monoxide poisoning is fresh air, you can move victims to fresh air far faster than you can bring fresh air to the victim. Once your out, stay out until emergency services arrive and tell you otherwise.

For more information and to read the entire article, click the "Full Article" link below or copy and paste the link below into your browser.

https://www.osfc.pa.gov/FireSafety/Pages/Carbon-Monoxide-Poisoning-Prevention.aspx

Hyperlinks: Full Article
 

Comment Comment 0 Comment(s)


Incidents 2018 - - 2019
Jan 14 20
Feb 23 38
Mar 14 29
Apr 17 18
May 19 36
Jun 14 31
Jul 19 19
Aug 24
Sep 26
Oct 18
Nov 42
Dec 14
Total 244 191

Incidents History
Year Calls
2008 246
2009 210
2010 259
2011 214
2012 208
2013 248
2014 259
2015 247
2016 244
2017 238
2018 259
Total 2632

Five Year Average Incidents
Years Average Calls
1970-1974 30
1975-1979 36
1980-1984 51
1985-1989 68
1990-1994 108
1995-1999 150
2000-2004 179
2005-2009 222
2010-2014 238
2015-2018 243
Website Designed and Hosted By: Content Proudly Maintained By: Contact Info:
Firehouse Solutions
www.FirehouseSolutions.com
Franklin Park Volunteer Fire Company #1, Station 158
2360 Rochester Road
Sewickley, PA 15143
Emergency Dial 911
Non-Emergency: 412-364-5670
Station Fax: 412-364-1460
E-mail: info@franklinparkvfc158.org
Copyright © 2019 Firehouse Solutions (A Service of Technology Reflections, Inc.)